UK Power Networks work closely with the Met Office receiving regular updates.
In the event of any power cut with damaged lines, the public are urged to stay well clear from power lines and anyone spotting a damaged power line needs to report it to UK Power Networks.
Contacting UK Power Networks
To report any power cuts and damaged lines on free helplines, customers should call the following numbers:
- In the South East call 0800 783 8866
- In the East of England call 0800 783 8838
- In London call 0800 028 0247
You can also report power cuts on UK Power Networks website
and follow the company on twitter for updates @ukpowernetworks
Preparing for a power cut - below is some advice on how you can prepare for a power cut:
- Keep our freephone number handy
- See the website for some useful videos offering you advice during a power cut.
- Keep spare batteries for radios and torches – local radio stations often broadcast helpful information
- Keep an old-fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won’t work in the event of a power cut
- Take care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
- Keep fridges and freezers closed, with a blanket over as they will stay cold for many hours
- Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
- Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
- Exercise caution in localised flooded areas -specific advice is available on the Environment Agency website.
- Look out for elderly neighbours and other vulnerable people